Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Incommendatus - "Ignominiam"


Artist: Incommendatus
Album: Ignominiam
Genre: Brutal Technical Death Metal
Country: Nevada, USA
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/incommendatus

1. Ignominiam

Alright, so I'm not an huge fan of technical death metal. In fact, I'm generally not a fan of technical music. It's usually so soulless and lifeless, and boring. I mean, yeah, we get it. You can shred for forty minutes and call it an album. While I'm generously using hyperbole, I just haven't found many bands in the genre that kick ass in a way that goes beyond the realm of simply being technically proficient.

So I'm a huuuuge fan of Incommendatus.

The fairly new project from Joe Broad(Ex-Disfiguring The Goddess) has everything most fans of the genre would like. Amazing technicality, and brutality that's off the hizzle. So why does Incommendatus stand out to me, among all the other tech death bands? To be honest, I'm barely sure.
It's not boring. His songs(of which he's only released two, but hey, they're badass) sound well thought out, and planned. A lot of bands in this genre just seem to go into songs trying to induce arthritis, but there's more than that in these songs. Riffs, while technical and heavy, are memorable, and oddly catchy. The solos will shred your face off, but are still emotive, and rarely sound like mindless noodling.

So while I'm still not sure as to why I like this so much, I'm going to guess that it's as simple as the entertainment of the music. In a genre that's completely over saturated with shitty bands using the same tactics, Incommendatus is a breath of fresh air. The playing is impressive, but also approachable. As I said before, everything from this project so far has sounded well thought out, and has been executed very well.

Overall, I'd compare Incommendatus to Necrophagist, if Necrophagist was more fun to listen to. Seriously, this guy can shred, and write good death metal songs.
Why does he only have a couple hundred fans on Facebook? Especially when his ex-band DTG has like 20,000.
Buy his music.
Buy a shirt from him(I did).
And just give him a like on Facebook. This stuff is way more deserving of your attention than 95% of death metal bands out there.

Bandcamp: http://incommendatus.bandcamp.com/

SHIRTS: http://incommendatus.spreadshirt.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment