Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Sainthood Reps - "Monoculture"


Artist: Sainthood Reps
Album: Monoculture
Genre: Some kind of post-hardcore? I dunno, I'm not terribly versed on the genre.
Country: NY, USA
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sainthoodreps

1. Monoculture
2. Dingus
3. Telemarketeer
4. Animal Glue
5. Hunter
6. No/Survival
7. Hotfoot
8. Holiday Makers
9. Reactor, Reactor, Reactor, Reactor!
10. Widow

Alright guys, been a while since I got this to work, so this is my first post in actually months. I plan on posting much more in the future, including rewriting my last two posts, which were deleted for some reason.

So my first post back is a pretty good one. I'm not very familiar with this genre of post-hardcore nonsense, and this is definitely a stray from the path for me.
I heard about this band roughly a week ago, when my friend told me this story about how his girlfriend wanted to go see some crappy band, and these guys opened for that crappy band, and these guys rocked.
After listening to this album, that's about right.

Sainthood Reps rock hard. Such a nice blend of grimy and pretty. I could listen to the first two tracks on repeat for days. I suppose that's really the biggest downside to the album. While the first half of the album is super killer and stellar, it starts to kind of sound like filler. For a good part of the album, the band strikes a very nice balance between sounding harsh, and sounding gorgeous. Clean passages are haunting, mostly thanks to the singer's voice, which has a certain character to it that adds to the music as a whole. Then when SR switches on the distortion, total groovy jumpfest. The harder riffs in this album are top notch.

Again, the second half of the album starts sounding too... Poppy for me. They pretty much abandon their grit and go for sounding pretty. Such a shame, because those first tracks hit me really hard, and if they could release an album that maintained an intensity that's present in the first three or four tracks of this album, they'd be one hell of a force to look out for.
Unfortunately, that probably won't happen.

Check these guys out though. At least a little bit.



Buy crap from 'em: http://www.merchdirect.com/sainthoodreps

No comments:

Post a Comment