Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Ah Ciliz - Led Astray (2011) Review


Artist: Ah Ciliz
Album: Led Astray
Genre: Atmospheric Black Metal
Country: CA, USA
Facebook


1.
Led Astray 08:55



2.
Ailing 09:41



3.
Secrets of the Forest 08:25



4.
Eyes of the Old Trees 08:09



5.
Cenizas 03:18

Preview

I am new to black metal. The band that sparked my interest in this genre is the young new giant, Deafheaven. I was really interested in the emotional, shoe-gaze elements that they combined with the darkened thrash. I wanted to find more post-black metal bands like them. One of the bands I have come across is Ah Ciliz. Unfortunately, one of my beefs with this style of metal is, for some reason, most of the bands that I have heard so far sound like they recorded live on tape decks. This may be an artistic technique particular to the style, and in that case that is great and whatever, or it may be a lack of funds. Either way, as an engineer and mixer, this is a downer for me as I want the most powerful recordings the band can perform.
As for this record, Led Astray, the recording is pretty dry, but not awful. The instruments are audible. The usual elements are found here; emotional (usually sad) guitar riffs often effected, fast drumming, and high growls and wails. Sounds are around the 8 and 9 minutes mark. The first song kind of threw me off as it felt like the intro never ended. Track two, however, picked up the speed of the album. I feel like a hipster for comparing everything to Deafheaven, but what will you do? This release is actually quite good as a whole and the transitions to clean and ambient parts are nice, but it does not reach the DFHVN mark due to the lack of power, originality, and excitement in the main riffs. Hopefully for their next release the production if bumped up to better express the band's sounds and vibes. If you are a fan of this style, get it. If you are new to it like me, you really need to be in the right mood for it. Maybe listen to it at midnight alone with the lights low, not in the morning when you are ready to start a new day. I will be back to write about more black metal I find in my journey, I'm sure. 

Download

No comments:

Post a Comment