Sunday, February 5, 2012

Gridlink - "Orphan"


Artist: Gridlink
Album: Orphan
Genre: Grindcore
Country: NJ, USA
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/GridLink512

1. Dar Al-Harb
2. Orphan
3. Deliverables
4. Scopedog
5. Red Eye
6. Cargo 200
7. Thorn Farmer
8. Embers, Blood, and Treasure
9. I Accept Your Last Wish
10. Hearts
11. Flatworlder
12. The Last Red Shoulder

Alright. So Gridlink has been a huge influence on my band, James Doesn't Exist, and I think I should write a review of their latest album. These guys aren't as big as they should be, and it really shocks me when I go to their Facebook and only see about 1800 likes. So this review is going to be about why you should listen to Gridlink.

First off, the amount of technical chops on this album are just insane. These guys are just shredding their guitars and drums to ashes. Yeah, shredding to ashes.  And with the piercing shriek vocals, everything must comes together so well in a giant cacophony of technicality and craziness.

Which brings me here, to my biggest point. The real reason I ever listen to grindcore, and the reason I'm sure most other people listen to grindcore.
This album will fuck your face off.
It won't be apologetic either. It will just grab your face and force itself into your mouth with it's utter bats hit sewer storm of crazy.
I mean, I don't know how these guys pull it off. Maybe it's the production or whatever, but Gridlink makes such an atmosphere of complete chaos, while still having actual listenable songs with an actual order that's almost cohesive.
So while I could go on about the talent in this band, or the sick ass drum parts, or vocals, or whatever, the real truth is that these guys are some of the craziest motherfuckers in a genre that's essentially a crazy motherfucker contest.

The only downside to this album, just because I have to pick one, is that all the songs blend together. But c'mon. If you're listening to grindcore, you're not really worried about that. All the songs are fucking awesome, and while they do all tend to blend together into a giant chaotic mess, that's exactly the way I like it.
Basically, if you're looking for a lot of song diversity, this probably isn't your best choice of an album.
But God damn, is this album good.

Having seen Gridlink live, I can also say that they are equally crazy onstage. Seriously, these guys are super talented and awesome and deserve more recognition as the awesome artists they are. They will always remain a huge influence to my band, and I can't wait until they finish their third album.

Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/?zq96xpbb528en23
iTunes(BUY THIS ALBUM): http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/orphan/id419114726

No comments:

Post a Comment